Sunday, September 23, 2012

Your Pace or Mine?

One fun run and a busy week in Seattle later I am finally able to recap our race!

Thankfully I was able to spend a couple days pre-race in town with Chanelle, giving us a chance to run together and to decide on our "plan of attack". Boy did we learn a lot before the race too -- thanks to observing Ryan (Chanelle's bf) run ahead of us we figured out we have been running wrong! Chanelle "the Gazelle" has been running for speed with long full strides...which is awesome...but I die (and eventually so does she). I have been running for distance with baby steps, except when I am with her, I get peer pressured into running like a gazelle. So we figured out our pace issue and decided to run for distance instead of speed.

Naturally, the night before the race we had to "carb up" with pasta...mostly wine. I don't advise this the night before a race. Nor do I advise going to various bars around town with pre-race excitement and decidedly more libations. I was wearing a hat...so we thought it was a good idea. Lesson learned.

Chanelle being very excited and our pre-race carb adventure.

So, morning of race, an extensive discussion on whether or not a jacket should be worn and a few photo ops later we were finally ready to run! I'd say we did pretty well too! We ran together almost the entire time. I walked once while hiking Mt. Everest climbing a small grade. Chanelle finished first, naturally and the post-race activities were pretty uneventful. We were happy with our accomplishment but neither of us felt like it was very well organized. Regardless, we got our medals, had a beer and went about our day. It should be noted, the girl who won over-all was about twice as fast as us. We have work to do!
Pre-Race/Post-Race...pretty much look the same :)

Now official marathon training starts. Yikes. I ran once in Seattle...I should have run 3 times. Not a good way to start a training program. Here is to a better week!


XO, 

Chantele

No comments:

Post a Comment